Our mathematics curriculum is designed to ensure that all pupils become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, can reason mathematically and can solve problems by applying their knowledge to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication. The curriculum is also designed to teach acceptance and engagement with the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
Pupils in Years 7, 8 and 9 (KS3) will sit graded assessments at the end of every half term and are expected to revise for these assessments throughout the year.
Pupils in Year 10 will sit Mock Exams in Autumn, Spring and Summer.
Pupils in Year 11 will sit 4 mock exams over the year. The new GCSE Mathematics examinations consist of 3 papers. Paper 1 is non calculator, papers 2 and 3 are calculator papers.
For further information and tips please click here. Pupils in Year 11 are required to recall from memory some Mathematical formulae. To get your copy of the poster click here.
Please click here for Examination Tips from the Mathematics Department.
Please click here to access a document explaining the language used in Mathematics Examinations.
All pupils are expected to have a the standard Lord Derby Academy equipment which includes a scientific calculator. In addition, Year 10 and Year 11 pupils are expected to have a Collins Revision Guide. Equipment including calculators, can be purchased from Student Services and guides from the Mathematics Team in Home Base 1. In addition, pupils can access their class text book by logging into the Collins Connect website.
* Some funding may be available. For more details please contact Mrs Speer.
Support available in School
During lessons pupils are encouraged to explain their answers and share their methods. Teachers use visualisers to share and address misconceptions. Pupils also take part in Live marking and one to one feedback. There is extra Mathematics support for pupils outside of lessons including:
- Morning Maths sessions
- Lunchtime Maths session
- Revision sessions during holidays and on Saturday mornings
- Use of laptops for independent work
- Booster pre exam sessions
- Revision lists for mocks
- Revision timetable
All year groups are set an online or written exercise weekly by their class teachers. Year 11 pupils will also be set Churchill exam style papers regularly. The aim of these papers is to build resilience and to coach pupils on exam techniques. The school will email completed papers to parents on a regular basis to allow them to become more independent in their exam revision at home.
Help your child to complete their homework by insisting on seeing their planner on a weekly basis and checking it is completed to a good standard.
The aim of homework is to test pupils‘ understanding and learning of the topics covered during the week. It is an important part of the learning process as it gives your child the opportunity to be an independent learner and to become more confident in their own ability.
To ensure you are well equipped to support your child on their Maths homework the department have given your child usernames and passwords to the following websites:
- https://connect.collins.co.ukunity Your child can log into the text book we use in class which shows worked out examples and questions.
- https://vle.mathswatch.co.uk/vle/ This website offers a collection of videos with step by step explanations of each topic. You and your child can watch each video as many times as you need to and then complete the online questions which will give you instant feedback and will enable you to make progress together. It is like having a private tutor 24 hours a day!
- http://www.amathsdictionaryforkids.com/ This website is an online Mathematical Dictionary. It is free to use and will help you and your child with specialist vocabulary.
- https://lordderbyacademypupil.usptraining.co.uk/elearning eMathsMaster is an app designed to help your child learn in a fun way. This app has 12 levels which are unlocked once pupils complete the lessons and pass the test for each level. This app can be accessed on mobile phones, tables, laptops and pc. Your child will be able to watch step by step short videos on each topic and complete quizzes. This has proven to be an excellent resource to help pupils embed and apply mathematical knowledge.
- www.methodmaths.com This website can be used to work through exam papers, for both the new and old maths syllabus. Immediate feedback is given and more complex exam questions can be broken down into stages to help develop exam technique. It is specifically for Year 10 and 11 pupils.
The Mathematics Department has several Enrichment activities available, these include:
- Higher Achievers- MEM Masterclasses 2018. Mathematical Education on Merseyside (MEM) is an organisation which brings together staff from the three universities in Liverpool and local school teachers, to devise, enable and promote mathematical activities throughout the region. – Please see Mrs Speer for more information.
- Weekly Maths Challenge – Please see Ms Geddes for more information.
- Chess club – Please see Mr Burgan for more information.
- Homework Club – Please see Mr Hoslett for more information.
- MEM Challenge Competitions – Please see Mr Starkey for more information.
- Year 7 and 9 – Please see Mr Starkey for information regarding what extra enrichment activities are available.
- Year 8 – Please see Miss Banks for information regarding what extra enrichment activities are available.
- Year 10 and 11 – Please see Mrs Speer for information regarding what extra enrichment activities are available.
- Trips and university workshops – Please see Mr Hart for more information.
- Maths in the real world/careers- Please see Mrs Zhang for more information.
Other Useful Websites
MathsMaster Login: https://lordderbyacademypupil.usptraining.co.uk/elearning/login.php
Sam Learning: www.samlearning.com
BBC Bitesize: www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize
Maths Genie: www.mathsgenie.co.uk
Maths is fun: www.mathsisfun.com
Study Maths: wwww.studymaths.co.uk
Mrs N. Speer: Acting Head of Department, Maths
Mr J. Starkey: Deputy Leader in Maths
Miss K. Arends: Leader of Numeracy
Mr M. Burgan: Classroom Teacher, Maths
Mr G. Hoslett: Classroom Teacher, Maths
Ms J. Geddes: Classroom Teacher, Maths
Mr N. Hart: Classroom Teacher, Maths
Mrs M. Zhang: Classroom Teacher, Maths
Miss S. Coldbeck: Maths Hub Strategy Lead